Spring - warmer weather
Summer - warmest weather, less rain
Fall - cooler, longer nights, less bugs
Winter - longest nights, no bugs
Anytime it's clear!
You may select 1 option

View results
PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 1:58 pm 

Which season do prefer to do your stargazing in?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2011, 9:52 pm 

Winter is a favorite of many of us. Very often, as the celestial highlights of each individual season is learned it becomes more difficult to choose a favorite season based on the "menu" alone. We therefore start considering the overall quality of the season's seeing. That explains why winter is a favorite of many of us!

The cool, crisp air of last night and tonight, though, is welcome in spring and thankfully not too rare.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2011, 9:05 am 

Yep. I prefer winter. I like the things visible from the winter sky - like M42. Combine that with long nights and no mosquitos nipping away at me, and it makes it my favorite viewing season.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2012, 5:32 pm 

As far as mosquitoes go, Ben and Trevor have been using a butane-fired device which Ben says works. He lent it to me but my schedule and the negative turn in weather have not allowed me to test it. If it works, we may invest in three or four--though since it's technically "lit" one needs to be careful with the heating of the grating on top and making sure the device doesn't get knocked off whatever it's on.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2012, 5:49 pm 

I am not sure if you are referring to the ThermaCell repellent but that has been recommended to me by all of my family members that hunt. They all say it is the best but you do have to be careful of the hot grill on the front. I noticed Academy had some on sale for $22 or there about the other day

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:32 pm 

It is the Thermacell. The NOAA forecast says "mostly cloudy" on through Thursday night, but there may be a break. It would be good if this device worked, as HRPO is not too far from a bayou.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 10:21 am 

Here is an article about the TermaCell Lantern that was in Wired Magazine lately. Not really ideal for observing as it is a light as well but could be nice for other uses before or after observing sessions or even around HRPO.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/07/th ... Stories%29

PostPosted: September 19th, 2013, 2:13 pm 

BRAS Co-Founder Craig Brenden will present "Wonders of the Fall Sky" at HRPO on Friday, 11 October at 7:30pm. Some of the gems of this season will be easily accessible, some may require equipment or relatively dark skies or both.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2014, 7:22 pm 

HRPO Education Curator Amy Brouillette will present "Wonders of the Summer Sky" at the Highland Road Park Observatory on Friday, 11 July at 7:30pm. Some of the gems of this season will be easily accessible, some may require equipment or relatively dark skies or both. The talk has free admission and is intended for visitors fourteen and older.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 2:43 pm 

HRPO Education Curator Amy Brouillette will present "Wonders of the Fall Sky" at the Highland Road Park Observatory on Friday, 17 October at 7:30pm. Some of the gems of this season will be easily accessible, some may require equipment or relatively dark skies or both. The talk has free admission and is intended for visitors fourteen and older.