What is your least favorite observing season?

Vote or discuss. Or do both!

You may select 1 option

View results

fred8615

Post by fred8615 » November 25th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Which season of the year do you really not want to observe in?
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

btoman

Re: What is your least favorite observing season?

Post by btoman » July 5th, 2010, 12:32 pm

With all the cool stuff up in the sky, I never thought I could HAVE a least favorite season...but after this summer so far. SUMMER it is! It's been so hazy, buggy and muggy. Can't wait till it's over!

gregg1ep00

Post by gregg1ep00 » July 6th, 2010, 10:43 am

I'm with Ben. The combination of hot, muggy, buggy, and long days is terrible, especially when I try to bring my 3 year old outside to look through the scope, or bring her to HRPO (which we've thoroughly enjoyed BTW). She normally goes to bed around 8:30, and it's just starting to get dark then. So if we go to HRPO, she is EXHAUSTED by the time we get there.

I'll really be looking forward to the winter months, when the day is much shorter and we can begin our stargazing earlier, and it's less buggy/muggy. It's a lot easier to put on extra clothes than take them off.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » August 2nd, 2011, 3:32 pm

Each season does have its great objects (like Albireo and the Dumbbell Nebula now).

But of course Fred means the conditions, and the Gulf humidity rolling into Baton Rouge during hot months with its customary relentlessness is more than trying at times. However, there are some "silver linings" such as the summer showers which can leave the atmosphere more dust-free during the following nights.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » February 10th, 2012, 10:17 pm

I know winter is supposed to be the favorite season of many of us, but has anyone else been noticing an inordinate number of cloudy/rainy nights the past two weeks?

Nick

Post by Nick » February 15th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Christopher K. wrote:has anyone else been noticing an inordinate number of cloudy/rainy nights the past two weeks?
I have noticed. They seem to have started right after I finished the "learn to use your telescope" class. :x

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » February 18th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I certainly hope this doesn't put you off for using your new scope.

Tonight, the sky opened--about 40% to 65%--between 8pm and 9pm. The forecast says mostly cloudy, but aviationweather.gov shows some dry air moving in, which usually means little or no clouds.

Nick

Post by Nick » February 29th, 2012, 9:32 am

I noticed we were cloud free from dusk until about 7:45 last night. The wife and I managed to see Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, the moon and the Orion nebula before the clouds came back.

btoman

Post by btoman » March 1st, 2012, 11:14 am

Excellent! Yes, it's been a dismal season overall, but those short holes in the clouds keep the spark alive. Hopefully we'll start getting some clearer skies soon.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » March 1st, 2012, 10:43 pm

Well, a March Merry Christmas to everyone. At this time this is the NOAA forecast for Village St. George...

Saturday: Clear, with a low around 5ºC. North wind between 10 and 20 km/h.
Sunday: Clear, with a low around 7ºC.
Monday: Mostly clear, with a low around 9ºC.

Then it's back to clouds, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm wondering if I'll recognize the Moon.