Motor drive on telescope to watch solar eclipse

Always view the Sun safely!
Jimblankinship

Motor drive on telescope to watch solar eclipse

Post by Jimblankinship » March 29th, 2017, 9:46 am

I purchased a celestron power seeker 80EQ telescope & Gosky solar filter w/Baader planetarium film to view the total solar eclipse. If I attach a Celestron R/A single axis motor drive will the scope then track the sun just as it would track the movement of the stars at night so I would not have to manually adjust the scope during the eclipse?
Also does the telescope need to be placed in a certain position for the sun tracking to work?
I'm 69 years old and this is my first experience with telescopes/I will be viewing the eclipse from Paducah Kentucky.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Jblankinship@cox.net

Christopher K.

Re: Motor drive on telescope to watch solar eclipse

Post by Christopher K. » March 31st, 2017, 5:05 pm

Any process you use that tracks a star well at night will track the Sun well during the day--remember, the Sun is just a closer star. The only snag I think you may encounter is not being able to align your telescope at the beginning using nighttime guide stars. If that isn't part of your process it's nothing for worrying.

I believe for most easy tracking of the Sun the mount should be oriented as closely to geographic north as possible. The scope's instruction manual may say more.