Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently July 17th, 2018, 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 11:57 am 

There is an interesting list of objects in the recent Sky and Telescope that I intend on pursuing in the coming weeks with my binoculars. As the title suggests, the list is perfect for the Baton Rouge area. If anyone else is interested in trying the list out, let me know. Maybe we can work together, or possibly have a friendly competition with them. I was going to start last night, but there was a haze (big surprise in Baton Rouge, huh?) which made Vega (mag 0) barely on the edge of visibility. Hopefully I can start tonight, since there are a few objects near Vega, and that is one of the only stars I can see from my back porch. I may post about the objects further if they turn out to be rather nice through my small binocs.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 1:16 am 

I haven't received my issue of S&T yet, so I don't have all the details. I AM interested in trying this out. I would use my Firstscope, though, since I have no binoculars.

And you should know by now, Trevor, if you plan on viewing on any specific night, it will be cloudy and hazy until 10 minutes after you've given up for the night! (At least, that's how it feels to me sometimes!)

PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 8:37 am 

2 down, 14 to go.

Last night I observed Alpha Vulpeculae, a double star near Alberio, and the coat hanger cluster, which is near Alpha Vul. Go from Deneb down through Alberio and both Alpha Vul and the coat hanger cluster are on that line; a few degrees to Alpha Vul, and another few degrees for the coat hanger.

Hopefully I can find more objects on the list, but I have a very narrow swath of the sky off my back porch to look at, so I don't have high hopes of finding them all unless I go elsewhere.

As a side note to anyone operating a scope at HRPO, the coat hanger would be a nice object to show people. It is also called Brocchi's object and the cannon cluster.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 10:58 pm 

As of tonight, I have found 12 of the 16 objects on the list. Although M13 was sort of a gimme, some gems have shown up. One of my favorites is Rho Ophiuchi, which is the 'top' star in the head of Scorpio (the three stars sort of in a row near Antares). The star is actually a triple star! It appears like a Mickey Mouse, and it really hard to split, but a fun one for sure. Another one I enjoyed was similar to Albireo and is right near Vega. In the binocs, I could see this double, Vega, and another double. The two doubles are called Delta Lyrae (the Albireo look alike) and Epsilon Lyrae.

This has been a fun list to go through for sure. Only 4 left!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 3:47 pm 

Trevor, how did you ultimately make out with S&T's binocular list?

There is a short article in the October Astronomy entitled "10 Top Autumn Binocular Treats". Along with an obvious pick--the Andromeda Galaxy--there's something I've never heard of called Stock 2. Starry Night Pro doesn't have the Stock list in its pre-set catalog so I did a little research.

SEDS lists coordinates as RA 02:15.0 Dec +59:16; that would be in Cassiopeia, wouldn't it? Some starhopping instructions I've found (http://www.backyard-astro.com/deepsky/2003_09_25/ITTday1.html) state this cluster is about two degrees northwest of the Double Cluster.

Amateur Astronomer's Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing describes Stock 2 as follows: magnitude 4.4, 60' diameter, very large and sparse, over fifty constituent stars of mag 8 and dimmer.

Sounds like it might be worth it!

Double Cluster and Stock 2 by Doug Sobel:
http://www.umich.edu/~lowbrows/astrophotos/otsp2007/Double_Cluster_Stock2.html

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 2:49 pm 

Can someone suggest a nice pair of Binoculars for me to acquire? I only know that it should have a tripod mount hole in it. What dia. thread pitch, power or any other advice you may give.
Thanks,
Stephen

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 6:16 pm 

Hmmmm...I'm not well informed on binoculars, so I can't help you there. If I get a chance to ask someone at the HRPO, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 2:59 pm 

Thanks Trevor,
I talked to Wally and he wants to help me w/ them tonight at Saturday viewing at HRPO. By the way, I read your article and was surprised to be able to understand and follow along w/ my limited knowledge. You know the subject and write very well. Good job in my humble opinion.
Stephen
Denham Springs, Louisiana

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 5:14 pm 

HRPO's annual "Skygazing Binoculars" talk will be this Friday at 7:30pm. Merrill Hess is the speaker. The talk is aimed at a general adult audience interested in purchasing a binocular for the primary purpose of skygazing. Binoculars will be on display. There is no admission fee.