Saturn and Moons with Cheap camera

Tips and tricks, and maybe even a few samples.
btoman

Saturn and Moons with Cheap camera

Post by btoman » May 29th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Hey All,

I mentioned in my other post that I had taken a picture of some of Saturn's moons. Here it is. (One of them, anyway.) I flipped it so the orientation is correct.

I knew for sure on the night I was viewing, but I THINK the moon furthest to the left is Dione, then Rhea, a very over-exposed Saturn, Titan and Iapetus up and to the right of Saturn. I don't have Photoshop yet, or any other worthwhile picture editing software, so I have yet to take a nice image of Saturn and combine it with a shot like this to get an overall nice image of Saturn and moons. Something to look forward to I guess.

Again, this was taken with my Kodak 7440 Easyshare attached to a 1.25" eyepiece out at the HRPO. I think the exposure length was something like 10 or more seconds. I can change that stuff under the manual settings of the camera fortunately.

I'm also including the shot of M3 I took. Same camera, only maximum exposure for the camera...64 seconds. It's no CCD, but you can actually start to see some of the "glob" in the globular and even a little color.

Ben
Attachments
M3Kodak.jpg
M3Kodak.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
Saturnandmoons2.jpg
Saturnandmoons2.jpg (20.63 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

Christopher K.

Re: Saturn and Moons with Cheap camera

Post by Christopher K. » May 16th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Will anyone try a cheap shot of Saturn this season? The planet is rising at a reasonable time right now. I know Judah S. has been experimenting with a variety of objects and events, especially conjunctions.